Tuesday 8 July 2014

Audience Profile and Research/Planning into Soundtracks

Audience Profile
From all the research I have collected and I have come to a decision on my target audience for my film trailer. I found out that the main gender who view horror films are male however only by a little difference. Therefore I will be aiming my film towards both genders but slightly more towards men. To attract the female audience I am going to use female characters that they can relate to. Males are more likely to be a fan of horror movies because men tend to be stereotypical thrill seekers. Violence is also a convention of horror movies which is often loved by males.
From my research I found out the usual age for someone watching a horror movie is between 15-24 years old. During young adulthood many people are in the key stages of developing themselves and seeking excitement. Many young adults want to experience new emotions and feelings therefore horror movies gives this thrill to a younger audience a lot easier than an older one. Also a young audience tend not to be put off a film by violence or unnatural images which may make an older viewer feel uncomfortable or negative towards a film.
In general, horror films are aimed towards the working class.This is most likely due to the level of thrill and excitement which is gained form a horror film. If a middle/upper class person watches a horror film they are usually watching a horror film which is related to another genre such as romance or history.


Research and Planning Into Soundtracks

After doing my research into popular, current trailers on the market I noticed that the soundtracks that went with the trailer played a very important role when advertising a film. The sound that I could hear made a extreme difference to the video I was seeing. After watching a few horror film trailers, I watched them again but without the sound and this then emphasised impact that a sound track could add. Especially when watching a horror movie trailer, the soundtrack could create and add a lot more tension and make a trailer a lot more scary.
I wanted to reinforce my horror theme genre by using typical scary sounds in my trailer. To begin with I tried searching into Google, 'horror sound effects.' Multiple website showed up with plenty of difference sound effects. I tried a lot of different websites and listened to a variety of sounds.
None of the sounds I found I was completely happy with apart from a heartbeat sound that I discover. I plan on having a heartbeat sound that can be heard throughout quite a lot of my trailer. I want the heartbeat to be heard but not take the attention away from what is being shown in the trailer. The heartbeat sound will create a rhythm to the trailer which will build up suspension. I think the sound will create more of a creepy atmosphere and add to my horror theme. I made sure the sound clip I was planning to use was from copy right free source before downloading it. The heartbeat sound was influenced by the pendulum sound I heard in the Insidious trailer and wanted to use the same style of building tension by having a continuous beat in the background of the trailer. 
By college, students also had the opportunity to listen to and use some pre-recorded sound effects and sound tracks. I listened to many of these and found one that fitted my trailer well. 
In my sound palette I wanted fairly sinister sounds which would represent a typical horror theme, such as dark beats and horror drones. I also want a high pitch sound that would echo which will be heard when my scary character appears on screen to show that the character isn't a nice one.
.

2 comments:

  1. This is good but would be even better if you presented as a chart or diagram with bullet points on who is your targeted audience.Try this website for creating an audience profile:

    http://www.easel.ly/create/?id=https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_themes/vhemes/avatar/&key=pub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for making the improvements Phoebe - you are working at a high level 2, borderline level 3 on many of these tasks. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete