Friday 30 January 2015

Magazine Cover Making


To begin with, I went through all my images from my contact sheet and decided on a image to use. I chose a portrait image as this is the normal style of a magazine and would work better when I started adding text. I edited my image in Photoshop and firstly removed the ties and logo from the jumper. I used the clone tool to cover up the unwanted parts of the jumper and I am really pleased with the outcome. 


I then darken the outside of the image by using the paint brush and gradient tool. I wanted to create the effect that the character was lit up in the middle, which I had also done with my poster. 


I placed the image into InDesign so that I could add text. I changed the title of the magazine a few times until I decided on one. I also struggled with choosing which font I wanted for my magazine title. I decided on a bold but simple text that would be memorable. To make it a memorable name title I changed the colour and sizing of the letter 'M'. This has made the title slightly more unique and also follows with the colours of the magazine. I added the typical features that you find on a magazine cover such as the price and bar-code. I placed these to the left side, just under the title because when researching and viewing other magazines on the market I found that this was a popular location on the cover.
On my magazine cover I used buzz words such as 'plus,' 'win' and 'exclusive'. These words make the audience feel as if they are buying information that can't be found anywhere else. Having the word exclusive central and in large font makes it stand out on the page. It helps to make the potential buyers more inclined to want to read the magazine and find out what is inside. 
Final Magazine


Audience Feedback 


I uploaded my final magazine cover to Facebook to receive audience feedback. Overall the comments were positive and people liked the cover that I had produced. Katie liked the design of my magazine title with 'M' standing out against the other letters. If I was to re-do my magazine cover I would add another image to the film strip and make the text slightly bigger and stand out more in the read circle.



No comments:

Post a Comment